Tuesday, August 10, 2010

College Football & Academics

Over the past week there have been a few articles that really caught my eye concerning academics and NCAA football. The first came from the Atlanta Journal last week: ACC tops SEC in academics. The second really bad news article also came out of the AJC: Branden Smith's academic "issues".

Both articles, mainly the second, got me to thinking about something that has really bugged me ever since I graduated from UGA. Why do so many athletes take the amazing education opportunity they are getting via scholarships for granted? I know for a FACT they are given every kind of support system you can imagine to succeed in the classroom (tutors, note takers, etc.) I could probably write a 10,000 word essay on my thoughts, but I am curious to hear some other opinions. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Its all about the culture. Most of these kids grow up thinking that learning is a step toward trying to be too much like "the man". It is not assisted or encouraged in most of the cultures that the majority of players come from. It is a very sad state of affairs, and the random individuals who are able to break away from the norm are usually alienated.

    ReplyDelete

 

UGABlog.com is not affiliated in any way with the University of Georgia.