Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Will Alec Ogletree Move To Backer

Alec Ogletree is probably the prize recruit out of the 2010 class for UGA, but what position will he play for the Red & Black? I tend to agree with Coach Grantham's analysis when he said the coaches would just have to wait and see the kid on the field. That's a no-brainer, but I still think we will most likely see Ogletree turn into an outside backer much like Thomas Davis did when he turned pro.

I have already read the comparisons between the two players, and many recruiting services already have Alec at 6'3", 220lbs. I'm sure he could be near 230lbs by the time next season rolls around. If UGA is only going to have three scholarship players at a hugely important position like outside linebacker, I vote we make the switch if the kid looks like he can help us at that position.

Safety or linebacker, it gets me all giddy inside just thinking about the prospects coming in this summer, and I can't wait to see what kind of product Grantham puts on the field in this 3-4 scheme.

Links that mention Ogletree at linebacker:
-Under Armor Allstar
-Yahoo Sports
-Athlon Sports

2 comments:

  1. Keep in mind that the outside linebackers in the 3-4 are bigger than they are for the vast majority of college teams. If he moves anywhere it would likely be to inside backer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A quick look at some of the NFL's top outside backers in the 3-4 gives me several guys with bodies that were probably similar to Ogletree at 18-19 years old. I don't think size will be an issue for this kid if the coaches decide he fits the position.

    James Harrison 6-0, 242
    Lance Briggs 6-1, 242
    Keith Bulluck 6-3, 235

    ReplyDelete

 

UGABlog.com is not affiliated in any way with the University of Georgia.